Friday, December 24, 2010

Delicious Traditions

Each Christmas, I INSIST on making Christmas cookies. We've done this every year for as long as I can remember. When I was little, we would all gather at my Grandma's house and my mom, aunt and grandma would bake the cookies while we kids would wait in the dining room, butter knives in hand, waiting to frost them. This year, my family came to visit us since we can't travel with the baby. I always want my mom to be involved. She doesn't love it like I do, but she tries to act like she does for my sake. Every Christmas season, we always have to make sure we set aside a day to do the cookies.   


This year, Billy had to get involved because he is a master of the recipe that has been adapted for the mountains. He sees cookie  making as a task to be conquered and  DEFINITELY doesn't like it as much as I do. Unlike my mom, he usually doesn't try to pretend  to love it for my sake either. He makes some really really good cookies though, so it's worth it to get him involved. As you can see, he shows the dough who's boss.
 When I was in college, I invited my friends back to my house to join in the fun. My friend John created some classics that have to be recreated every year. One of our favorites is "Peed on Snowman." This year, the icing was a little runny, and the scarf kind of looks kind of frightful, but we made the peed on snowman in honor of John.

Of course, the best part of the cooking making is the cookie eating.
Sometimes, during the Christmas season, I grab a couple of cookies and have them for breakfast. I know it's not healthy, and I know that I'll regret it on January 1st. For now though, I don't care. It's good to know that if I ever need to make some extra money during the holiday season, I can don a germ laden red coat, a fake beard and let small children sit on my lap at the mall.





2 comments:

  1. the snowmun cookies with the multi-colored hats are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!!!! The Christmas Cookie Extravagansa!
    I am so honored to know that I am a tradition now. Ha ha ha! Next time I'm in Oklahoma, we gotta do so Christmas cookie baking.

    ReplyDelete